History The Mullard Radio Astronomy Observatory(MRAO) is home to a number of large aperture synthesis radio telescopes, including the One-Mile Telescope, 5-km Ryle Telescope, and the Arcminute Micro kelvin Imager. Radio interferometry started in the mid-1940s on the outskirts of Cambridge, and with funding from the Science Research Council and a donation of ¬£100,000 from Mullard Limited, construction of the Mullard Radio Astronomy Observatory was completed and opened by Sir Edward Victor Appleton on 25 July 1957. The site is…